Sunday, August 8, 2010

Luck

Are there people who are lucky?  Do you believe in luck?  I ask a handful of friends these questions including myself.

It seems luck is happening to certain people.  If so, wouldn't it be nice if we know what kind of people?  Is it a certain race?  Creed or religion?  And why would I be interested?

I do not know what is luck.  I mean, I do not have an immediate answer when I ask myself this question.  So I look into myself and ask what have I learned from my past experiences about luck.

From my experience, I gathered luck is a favor to the undeserved.  Then, I came across few more words:  mercy, grace and favor.  I continue this line of inquiry about myself--couldn't be mercy, grace and favor for these can come from someone.  Can luck come from someone?  Grace can come from someone, but there is also someone bigger than life who can give us grace.  Can luck be a result of that grace from someone bigger than life?

Does luck happen to certain people?  Are certain people favored?  And I'm back to the question:  Why would I be interested in what it is?  And What is luck?

My friends' answers were:

You won the lottery.




You found 500 bucks on the way.




You won the game.



You got the most beautiful girl on the block.



You got the favorable situation.


Do you believe in luck?


And these are the answers I got:



Yes.  Of course, I do.


It depends on the situation.
I closed my eyes and ponder upon the questions:  How do I came to understand luck as I understood it now?  Am I right in my understanding?  What beliefs have I formed from my understanding of the word?  How is it shaping my  world?

By this simple inquiry I came to conclude that the belief or unbelief of luck plays an important part in our consciousness, and so are the words grace, mercy and favor.  And for the most part we carry it from the past experiences and bring it forward automatically--unconsciously.  And formed our new beliefs on top of existing beliefs we have already formed by it.


Now, I'm back to square one.  And I realize I didn't have clear understanding of what luck really is.  Everything I have learned about it are based from the past experience with the assumptions that it is true.  I have never really questioned the integrity of my sources until now and I have arrived at square one again.  So I decided to consult google.


This is what I got:








  • fortune: your overall circumstances or condition in life (including everything that happens to you); "whatever my fortune may be"; "deserved a better fate"; "has a happy lot"; "the luck of the Irish"; "a victim of circumstances"; "success that was her portion"











  • an unknown and unpredictable phenomenon that causes an event to result one way rather than another; "bad luck caused his downfall"; "we ran into each other by pure chance"







  • an unknown and unpredictable phenomenon that leads to a favorable outcome; "it was my good luck to be there"; "they say luck is a lady"; "it was as if fortune guided his hand"
    wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn




  • Luck or fortuity is a belief in good or bad fortune in life caused by accident or chance, and attributed by some to reasons of faith or superstition, which happens beyond a person's control.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luck



  • Now, if you ask me again.  Do I believe in luck?  My answer is a definite Yes.  I believe in luck.  I believe I am lucky.  I created luck.











    Enhanced by Zemanta

    No comments: